Monday 5 December 2011

3. The Louvin Brothers- Tragic Songs of Life


Release Date: 1956
Label: Capitol

Until the other day, I'd never heard of the Louvin Brothers. The Everlys? Yes. The Outheres? Again, yes. The Chemicals? Most definitely. But Mr and Mr. Louvin, I had not. As such, I had no idea what to expect from this album; although I immediately presumed it wouldn't sound anything like Dig Your Own Hole. Perhaps, surprisingly, I was genuinely delighted by this album. The high-tenor of Ira Louvin (yes I did have to look that up) felt like it belonged in my record collection, whilst the close harmony of Charlie (baritone) compliments it like a cheese does a cracker. In fact, Ira sound a little feminine, and that's what makes the album stand out for me. The songs are tragic, and apparently these boys had their fair share of temptation, sin and tragedy. The fact that I'd not heard of them before now is one of them (sorry lads).

Overall: 8.5/10
Favourite Track: A Tiny Broken Heart



Next Album: Louis Prima- The Wildest!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...