Monday 12 December 2011

22. Marty Robbins- Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs

Release Date: 1959
Label: CBS

After a couple of 'poorer' efforts from Miles Davis and Ray Charles, it was nice to listen to something that I could enjoy. Occasionally country music gets a bad reputation, but I've always had a soft spot for the Nashville Blues. If that phrase hasn't been used before, I'm claiming it by the way. I don't know much about Matry Robbins- I don't even know if he's still alive- (I've just checked, he died in 1982)- but I'm fully prepared to explore some more of his work after listening to this record- which is described by allmusic as the 'the single most influential album of Western songs in post-World War II American music'. Of course, one of the problems of listening to a single album by an artist you're otherwise naive towards is that sometimes it's unrewarding because it's not always representive of their other work.

Overall: 8.5/10
Favourite Track: They're Hanging Me Tonight.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...