Monday 5 December 2011

1. Frank Sinatra- In The Wee Small Hours




Release Date: 1955
Label: Capitol

I like Frank Sinatra, he pisses all over Michael Buble, or any of the other contemporary Easy Listening acts, so I was looking forward to this album. This is Sinatra's break-up record. 50 minutes of heartache and sorrow. Whatever his love (Ava Gardner) did to him, or whatever caused the split seems to have hit poor Frank pretty bad. This is the musical equivalent of getting kicked in the guts, or catching your missus at it with the man next door. Calm orchestral music (reminding me of classic Disney) peppers the record as Frankie boy croons over the top. The instruments are used sparingly, and don't detract from the vocal- which, coming from Sinatra, is warm, relaxing and genuinely incredible. I was rather surprised to hear an earlier- less upbeat- version of 'Glad To Be Unhappy' (i.e. not the one by the Mamas and Papas). It's good, although it does drag a little; I prefer Sinatra with a bit of swing. Mind you if he sang these songs to me, I'd take him back in a heartbeat. Sniff. Ava Gardner, you should never have let him go!

Overall: 8/10
Favourite Track: Glad To Be Unhappy



Next Album: Elvis Presley- Elvis Presley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...