Wednesday 28 October 2015

39. Charles Mingus - The Black Saint and The Sinner Lady

Release Date: 1963
Label: Impulse

The more I listen to jazz, the more I begin to love it. Of course, there are some albums that I just don't 'get' (I'm thinking of 'A Kind of Blue here'), but there are others (Time Out and the current one being reviewed) which make sense straight away. What stands The Black Saint apart from the ones I've listened to thus far is the sheer variety of the pieces, and the way Mingus manages to pull them all together. Want a section that sounds like it was written for a film noir score? Yep! Want some dude going crazy with a trumpet whilst the drummer ramps up the beat? Of course! Feel like a little spanish guitar just for kicks? You betcha! Whilst some jazz albums can feel a little predictable (ironically), this had me on the edge of my eardrums.

Rating: 8.5/10
Favourite Track: Track B - Duet Solo Dancers


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...