Sunday 29 October 2017

120. Big Brother and The Holding Company - Cheap Thrills


Cheapthrills.jpeg

Release Date: 1968
Label: Columbia

I've been aware of 'Cheap Thrills' for a long time, without ever actually hearing it. In fact, in the seven years I worked at HMV, I can't even recall seeing it in stock. I'm not even sure if it's still available to buy. At the time of writing, it's £5.99/2 for £10. Of course, the main selling point of BBatHC has always been Janis Joplin. And while it's her vocals that carry this album, the quality of the music shouldn't be ignored. The only song I was disappointed with was probably the cover of 'Summertime' and I don't remember 'Turtle Blues' making an impression either.

Rating: 8/10
Favourite Track: Piece of My Heart

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...