Saturday 29 July 2017

89. Pink Floyd - Piper at the Gates of Dawn

Release Date: 1967
Label: EMI

While The Beatles were recording their forgotten masterpiece, Sgt. Pepper another quartet were in one of the adjacent studios laying down takes for what was to become their debut album. Their producer, Norman Smith, had been an engineer on The Beatles earliest songs but had since been promoted. The result of these sessions was 'The Piper at the Gates of Dawn' - named after a chapter in Kenneth Grahame's 'The Wind in the Willows'. That's a book I've never read. I have listened to this album many times though, and whilst it's not my favourite Pink Floyd album, it's not my least favourite either. It's Syd Barrett at his peak and simply because of that, it's worth buying. The only reason I haven't given it 9 or 10 stars is because I'm not too keen on Roger Waters' contribution to the tracklist

Rating: 8/10
Favourite Track: Interstellar Overdrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...